WORKING ON HERM ISLAND
Herm is a working community dependent totally on tourism for its income. The island is open all year round and employs a mix of permanent residents and seasonal staff. Our main season runs from April to October when all departments on the island are open. From November to March the island is managed by a significantly reduced workforce.
There is a permanent community of 60 residents on Herm, including children. These people live and work on the island all year round with their families. During the peak season, our numbers are increased by up to a 100 seasonal staff employed specifically to work in our busy island departments. We have a wide range of seasonal positions available in all departments. Start and finish dates vary across all departments, with some staff being taken on for the whole season while others will only work the main July/August period.
Both new and returning staff are now able to register online with the Guernsey Income Tax office. The online registration process is generally faster than completing a paper form and you will receive a tax coding sooner.
Island Services and Facilities Team
There are currently no vacancies in the services team.
The White House Hotel Vacancies
Herm Island is seeking professional people to take on a career-defining challenge.
Herm Island offers a unique hospitality destination and we are seeking high quality candidates to fulfil a number of exciting roles.
Herm is located three miles off the larger island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands between Southern England and France. It is a picturesque holiday resort with a resident population of just 60 people that swells to almost double during the summer months. It has one hotel, a vibrant pub, two shops, 20 holiday cottages and a campsite. Being a small, sometimes isolated island, working and living on Herm can be challenging, demanding and not for the faint hearted and requires flexibility, a positive attitude and absolute professionalism.
All positions are live-in and our team are expected to work 6 days out of 7 when the business demands. All positions are paid hourly with holiday accumulating throughout the season. Unless prior permission is granted, we do not expect any of our team to take holiday during the season. Living and working on Herm will bring you close to guests, locals, and your colleagues. You need to be able to adapt and develop with the island team in order to be happy and productive during your time on Herm.
We are looking for people with the following attributes and work ethic:
• A positive and committed attitude
• Work well under pressure
• Ability to handle a relentless work schedule during busy periods
• A team player
• Professionalism delivering high standards at all times
• An excellent sense of humour
What we offer:
• Industry benchmarked competitive salary
• 50% discount on accommodation and board costs (retrospective on completing the season) – potential of £1,700
• Fantastic hands on work experience
• Private accommodation
• Opportunity to work paid extra hours
• On the job training to include level 2 FSA certificates
We currently have the following vacancies available:
The timeless, historic and stunningly located White House Hotel is seeking a passionate Head Chef with exceptional experience, consistency and a team ethos. We are looking for a calm, helpful, nurturing and confident leader to lead and mentor a quality-led kitchen brigade to take up the position in Feb / Mar 2020.
The White House Hotel is magnificently positioned in the harbour village of Herm Island with stunning views towards our larger sister island of Guernsey. The four-star hotel has a guest only wing and a non-resident brasserie restaurant and bar, The Ship Inn, which is open daily during the main season. It also offers exclusivity for events such as weddings and functions with an exterior marquee catering for up to 150 people. The hotel offers 40 well appointed bedrooms, a private and public restaurant, brasserie & bar, swimming pool, guest lounges and brand new (March 2019) kitchen facilities.
The right candidate will be required:
• To take control of the food element of this growing business, ensuring consistent delivery of quality products, service standards & specifications; controlling the local supplier to plate process.
• To be obsessed with great food and a desire and imagination to add to the current offerings to further enhance the guest experience.
• To have your own thoughts, ideas and suggestions about making the business even better; leading a dedicated team that blends visionary design with fresh, local and seasonal food.
• To have the skills and motivation to mentor the kitchen brigade and be responsible for their welfare, recruitment, induction, training, supervision and development.
• To have a great working knowledge of all necessary due diligence and able to maintain high standards of cleanliness and hygiene within the kitchen.
• To take appropriate levels of fiscal responsibility for departmental food costs, payroll, operating expenses and budgets.
• To assume responsibility for all relevant HR, payroll, health & safety, legislative and administrative duties.
• To be an integral part of the senior management team at the hotel, supporting operational goals and measuring effectiveness through the food & beverage P&L and service performance of the hotel.
• To provide a high quality and consistent food offering to Herm Island’s hotel staff during lunch and dinner.
• To be a community and team player
• To create, oversee and implement specs for all dishes and be allergen compliant.
• Possess a contagious passion for excellence, a great eye for detail and a talent for creative, innovative ideas.
• Previous experience in a same/similar role within a high-end, top quality environment, preferably in hotels.
• A natural leader, self-motivator and mentor to your brigade and the hotel team; leading by example, enhancing their experiences and adding to their skill set.
• Possess immaculate grooming standards and the discipline to ensure others follow your example.
• A great work ethic with self-discipline, organisational skills and a burning passion for great food.
• A desire to relocate to this beautiful, unique island and community.
• Consider him/herself part of a growing and developing hotel management team and enthusiastic to take part in brainstorming and improvement processes alongside colleagues.
• A competitive salary and potential bonus scheme (Guernsey’s taxation is significantly different to the UK)
• Live-in essential and considered part of your package. Allocated accommodation is a 2/3 bedroom cottage (families welcome)
• Excellent community and well being spirit.
Please email your current CV and photo plus covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
SEASONAL WAITING AND KITCHEN STAFF
Experienced service staff looking for their next challenge and to gain experience for their career. Must offer high standards and deliver impeccable service to the customer.
These are seasonal roles from March to October, complete with accommodation and a competitive package.
Please email your current CV and photo plus covering letter to email@example.com
More about Herm:
Herm boasts some of the best beaches in the British Isles, a great community and amazing wildlife. It has no cars and is only 1.5 miles long by 0.5 miles wide. Herm is only a 20 minute boat journey from Guernsey which has a population of 65,000 and offers all the benefits of a major UK town. As an employee of Herm Island, you will receive a heavily subsidised boat pass for travel to and from Guernsey.
Herm is a very unique and special place and if you adapt well within the working environment you will have a close set of colleagues and be part of a business which is hard not to love and cherish throughout the rest of your career. The unique elements of Herm make it a popular attraction for visitors but it is vital our staff appreciate they are part of a team to make the visitor experience as exceptional as possible.
Mermaid Tavern Vacancies
There are currently no Mermaid Tavern vacancies in Herm.
Gift Shops Vacancies
Assistant Manager – Herm Island Gift Shops
Herm Island is looking to recruit an Assistant Manager to help run our retail outlets.
About Herm Island Gift Shop
Herm’s Gift Shops have a reputation for providing diverse, interesting and good value items. Our unique shops offer an assortment of ranges such as clothing and accessories from popular brands including Weird Fish, Key West, Lazy Jacks, Reef, Havaianas, Ipanema and Dock & Bay. We stock branded gifts from companies like Dunoon and Emma Bridgewater. Bespoke souvenirs and even a unique range of jewellery made locally in Guernsey. We also offer a vast selection of drinks, ice creams, confectionery, electronics, stationary, greeting cards and pharmacy and toiletry products.
Our younger visitors are of equal importance and, with this in mind, the Gift Shops offer a fantastic range of toys, novelties and beach goods to suit even the smallest pockets.
The shops are set in a Mediterranean style piazza, which was built by a team of Italian builders and craftsmen in the 1960’s. This adds great character to the harbour front and fits in well with the white washed and pastel coloured cottages.
About the Role
Assist in running a team of staff to offer flawless customer service and satisfaction to our 75,000 guests who visit us every year! You’ll help make the Gift Shop, beach cafes and other retail opportunities excel in every sense, increasing sales, profit, controlling costs, improving team performance, customer service, stock levels and merchandising throughout.
Ultimately your aim will be to create an extraordinary experience for the customers. Upholding high standards, while inspiring the team with your flexible hands on approach. Making a real contribution to the overall success of Herm Island as a business.
Your KPI’s should include: increasing sales (up-sells), sales margin, staff & wage control, stock value control, underlying spends.
You will have a proven track record in a previous retail role, ideally in a supervisory position, with a desire to now progress and take ownership of your role. Skills to help manage and train a team in a supportive way is essential to drive upselling and ensure optimum sales results in a positive way.
You will understand and deliver great customer service by giving a memorable experience to all Herm Island visitors. Having the ability to identify creative and visual ideas for retail across the island exceeding previous sales results. You will have great attention to detail to controlling stock and will be hands on with true shop floor experience.
Hours of work
High Season (March – October) between 8.20am to 6pm (school summer holidays open till 8pm), six days a week on a rota basis.
Low season (November – February) between 9am to 5pm, five days a week on a rota basis.
This is an exciting and challenging position in a healthy environment with an idyllic lifestyle. A realistic salary plus bonus, 4 weeks’ holiday, good rent-free housing, low tax of 20% starting at 9.5K, no rates or council taxes and no need for a car! This represents a generous package when compared to UK salaries and living expenses.
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your full CV and a letter highlighting why you would be able to fulfil this key role within the organisation and clearly demonstrate how you meet our requirement with details and enough background information for us to assess the suitability of the applicant to live and work in our small island community.
We do recognise the time and effort it takes to apply for a position, but as an employer we receive a high volume of applications and in the interests of economy, Herm Island Ltd does not notify candidates who have been unsuccessful in their application.
Closing date: 20th December 2019
Beach Cafes Vacancies
There are currently no beach cafe vacancies in Herm.
General Outdoor Vacancies
There are currently no general outdoor vacancies in Herm.
Permanent Positions Vacancies
Position of Herm Island Builder
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a proven general builder/multi trader with good all round abilities to join our island maintenance team on a permanent basis.
Guaranteed never a dull moment working in a healthy, partially outdoor environment with a commute time of just a few minutes!
• Block work, footings and wall repairs including re-pointing a number of island buildings.
• Roofing repairs such as replacing tiles and fixing leaks and regular condition checks (for large projects we use local contractors).
• Maintaining & repairing gutters and downpipes.
• Plumbing – repairs to plumbing and heating systems mainly involving minor repairs and the installation of bath & shower room systems including sink taps, wastes and radiators.
• Tiling – we have an on-going programme of bathroom and kitchen refurbishment throughout the island.
• Plastering repairs as walls are damaged by both guests and nature!
• Repairs and maintenance of the drains and sewer system.
• Some basic electrical work mainly involving fault finding and minor alterations. The island engineer or an outside contractor carries out the more technical projects and jobs.
• General works – this could be fixing a leaking tap, changing a broken toilet seat, unblocking a drain, fixing a door handle or changing a light bulb. This busy & successful tourist island has to keep running 24 hours a day with limited access to immediate outside assistance, therefore a willingness to muck in and help is very important!
The Service team comprises of one ‘hands on’ island engineer, an assistant engineer, skipper/relief engineer, carpenter, builder, painter, 2 gardeners and 3 outdoor maintenance team/tractor drivers.
Each member of the team has their own skills but will assist other members of the team as required.
The carpenter and builder both have general plumbing and electrical skills and, provided the builder is skilled and a good team player who gains the respect of his peers, this is a proven and successful system.
Good ‘back up’ is provided by selected Guernsey contractors/service agents.
Out of work ‘call outs’ are successfully handled by the maintenance staff on a rota basis with the engineer restricted to power production/utilities and those problems that are too technical or difficult for the person who is on call.
Therefore, whenever a problem arises there is always a good level of support available if the solution to the problem seems evasive.
The company spends consistently on running and refurbishing the island, such as the hotel, holiday cottages or the cargo vessel. It is the maintenance team’s job to ensure that preventative maintenance and good winter planning restrict ‘summer season’ problems to the minimum. Quite simply, with a short summer trading season everything must work and we must do whatever is necessary to ensure it does!
The builder must expect to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. In practice he works Monday to Friday from 08.00 – 17.00 but must willingly respond to ‘call outs’ as and when required in order to maintain continuity of services
For applicants with a young family we have an excellent island school (States of Guernsey Education Authority) which can take children up to the age of 11 years, there are currently 6 pupils.
The island offers an ideal safe outdoor environment for children with first class schooling.
It is not essential for couples living on the island to have children as long as they’re prepared to get involved with the community and make the most of island life.
Enjoy wonderful beaches and walks, swimming after work in summer, fishing, dinghy sailing and many other outdoor activities. The hotel has a tennis court. There is a village hall for use by islanders with table tennis and some gym equipment. The Mermaid Tavern is open for most of the year, except January – mid February. Good restaurants with a 25% discount on food for permanent island residents. Guernsey is just 20 minutes away by hourly ferry in summer and twice daily in winter with additional midday sailings on Wednesdays and Saturdays in winter. Nominal charge for out of high season visiting family in self-catering units.
Unfurnished but double-glazed and centrally heated accommodation will be provided with the only charge being for heating, electricity, gas and broadband.
The broadband charge is £150 per year (subject to review) and our utility charges are far lower than the UK.
This is an exciting and challenging position in a healthy environment with an idyllic lifestyle. A realistic salary plus bonus, 4 weeks’ holiday, good rent-free housing, quad bike for work usage, (applicant must have full driving licence) low tax of 20%, no rates or council taxes and no need for a car! 50% of relocation costs. This represents a generous package when compared to UK salaries and living expenses.
Commencement: Early September 2019
The Technical Services Manager considers the selection of staff to be one of the most important aspects of the success of Herm Island. Therefore, applications should be as detailed as possible to ensure the recruitment of a capable general builder who will work well with existing staff but also someone who will enjoy the island and all it has to offer. A key issue is to ensure that the applicant’s partner/family will be happy living in a relatively small and remote community.
On receipt of applications those short-listed will receive an initial telephone call from the Technical Services Manager. A follow up call may be made by his wife to the applicant’s wife/partner to discuss the many domestic matters relating to island life – shopping, medical issues, schooling etc.
If shortlisted a 2-day interview will be held on the island (travel & accommodation costs at Herm’s expense). The family/partner will need to attend the interview.
Applications in writing addressed to ‘Technical Services Manager’, Herm Island, Via Guernsey, Channel Islands. GY1 3HR. Include full CV, current family photograph and a letter with family details and enough background information for us to assess the suitability of the applicant to live and work in our small island community.
Emails to: – email@example.com
Closing Date for applications – 5pm on 5th July 2019
There are currently no campsite warden vacancies in Herm.
There are currently no gardener vacancies in Herm.
Holiday Cottages Vacancies
A skilled Head Housekeeper with great supervisory and organizational skills, able to assist in the smooth running of a 40-bedroom hotel and 20 self-catering cottages. The right candidate will be supporting the Executive Head Housekeeper, inspecting, training and working alongside the team to ensure that all operational standards are met in line with quality, cleanliness, health and safety and business needs.
This is a seasonal role from March to October 2019 which could be extended into a permanent role, complete with accommodation and competitive package.
A dynamic individual with excellent attention to detail whilst being self-motivated and extremely organized in ensuring that all cottages, hotel rooms and public areas are cleaned to the required standard. Experience in a similar role is preferred but not essential. All the necessary training will be provided but a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic are a must.
These are seasonal roles from March to October, complete with accommodation and a competitive package.
For housekeeping and room attendant positions, please email your current CV and photo plus covering letter to: IoanaMacoveanu@herm.com
There are currently no engineering vacancies in Herm.